St Fethlimidh’s Cathedral, Kilmore
The beautiful Kilmore Cathedral is one of two cathedral churches in the diocese of Kilmore, Elphin and Ardagh (the other is St John the Baptist Cathedral, Sligo) in the Church of Ireland.
The cathedral stands on an elevated wooded site adjacent to Lough Oughter. One of its more interesting features is the 12th century Romanesque doorway built into the outside wall of the vestry. The cathedral also possesses an original copy of the first translation of the Old Testament into Irish by William Bedell, Bishop of Kilmore from 1629 to 1642.