The Life of Reilly
The O’Reilly clan (still a very common surname in the area) established a castle in the town in the late 13th century. A Franciscan friary was also established in the town around 1300, while the O’Reilly’s built a new castle in the late fourteenth-century on Tullymongan Hill, overlooking the town centre. In the 15th century, the local ruler, Bearded Owen O’Reilly, set up a market which attracted merchants from Dublin and Drogheda. The term life of Reilly was credited to the O’Reilly clans due to their great wealth and power, some of which came from their market.