Carlingford Medieval Village
King John’s Castle, Carlingford,
Despite the western part being commissioned by Hugh de Lacy c. 1190, the castle owes its name to King John (Richard the Lionheart’s brother) who visited Carlingford in 1210. The eastern part was constructed in the mid 13th century with alterations and editions occurring in the 15th and 16th centuries. In the 1950s the Office of Public Works (OPW) undertook conservation work to stabilize the structure. An excellent view of the north pier and lough can be had from the looking area on the western side of the castle, though the castle itself tends to remain locked to the general public for their own safety.
Taaffe’s Castle, Carlingford
A fortified town house that belonged to the rich mercantile Taaffe family who became Earls of Carlingford in 1661. Its close proximity to the harbour would suggest a trading depot on the ground floor with the upper floors reserved for residence. The construction suggests two phases—the main tower built in the early 16th century while the extension to the side occurred later.
The Tholsel, Thosel Street Carlingford
The Tholsel or “town-gate” is the only remaining example of its nature in Carlingford and one of the few left in Ireland. Originally it was three stories high—the present appearance due to alteration made in the 19th century. The original function was of course to levy taxes on goods entering the town—the murder-holes on the side of the walls are testaments to that fact. In 1834 it was used by the Corporation of Carlingford for meeting and a Parliament is said to have used it to make laws for the Pale. It was also used as a town gaol in the 18th century.
The Mint, Thosel Street Carlingford
A fortified three-storey town house belonging to a wealthy merchant family in the centre of Carlingford. While the right to mint coinage was not granted to Carlingford until 1467, it is unlikely that it was actually used as a mint. The most interesting feature is the five highly decorated limestone windows. The patterns and motifs are an example of the influence of the Celtic Renaissance on art during the 16th century.
Dominican Friary, Dundalk Street Carlingford
The Dominicans were established in Carlingford in 1305 primarily because of their patron Richard Óg de Burgh, 2nd Earl of Ulster, with the friary itself being dedicated to St. Malachy. Dissolved in 1540 by Henry VIII, it became the centre of a repossession struggle between the Dominicans and Franciscans in the 1670s. It was resolved in favour of the Dominicans by Oliver Plunkett. However the friary itself was subsequently abandoned in the 18th century by the Dominicans to their present location of Dundalk. The remains today consist of a nave and chancel divided by a tower.
Church of the Holy Trinity, Ghan Road Carlingford
Donated by the Church of Ireland to Carlingford this restored medieval church is also known as the Holy Trinity Heritage Centre. Exhibits inside display the history of Carlingford from Viking times to the present period. The video and beautiful stained glass window are popular with visitors. Musical recitals are common. The grounds outside contain a graveyard.